Sunday, June 1, 2008

Haruki Murakimi

This post is not really dedicated to him but he is definitely one of the authors that I love. I read most of his work and even though I do not know if I actually get half of what he wants to say, I still find it such a pleasure to be sucked into his stories. (Even though I have to admit I have a tendency to lose myself in any story). Kalfka By the Shore and Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World has got to be my favourite.

Currently reading this collection of short stories by him :
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman and I want to share just these two short paragraphs by him.

Chapter The Ice Man
Ice contains no future, just the past, sealed away. As if they’re alive, everything in the world is sealed up inside, clear and distinct. Ice can preserve all kinds of things that way- cleanly, clearly. That’s the essence of ice, the role it plays.

Chapter Firefly
Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it. As we live, we breathe death into our lungs, like fine particles of dust.


Maybe I want our relationship to be like ice because then I’ll know it is going to me you forever sealed up and there is no talk of leaving or staying because we are frozen in our place. Where our love may not be that transparent and even fuzzy in the ways we show it but it is simple. And I am a simple girl hoping you are a simple boy.

No comments: